Aiken, South Carolina has been ranked among the top 10 most affordable cities to retire, according to CBS News. The quiet and peaceful atmosphere along with proximity to larger surrounding cities make Aiken a great option for retirees. Here are a few reasons you should consider retiring in Aiken.
- The cost of living in South Carolina is lower than the rest of the country by about 7%. Property taxes are lower as well and the average price of a home is under $200,000.
- Aiken was named the “Best Small Town in the South” by Southern Living Magazine. The great weather, hospitality and southern charm make it easy to see why the Aiken has so many accolades.
- Aiken is a paradise for equestrian lovers. It’s one of the only places you’ll see horses anywhere and everywhere! Downtown Aiken is adorned with various equine boutiques, art galleries and restaurants. There are painted horse statues throughout the town as well. The annual Steeplechase is a great spectator event to attend and captures everything beautiful about the south.
- There’s something in Aiken for everyone, not just horse lovers. Being so close to Augusta, there are world-class golf courses for leisure as well as many other sports and activities. If you enjoy hiking, there are many beautiful trails to spend a day on.
- Art fans will enjoy seeing the many displays and galleries available in Aiken. The Aiken Center for the Arts showcases many talented artists as well as other small galleries in the downtown area.
- The weather is perfect for anyone relocating from up north. If you’re sick of snow and want a mostly mild year, Aiken is the place for you. In fact, the chances of snow are very rare.
- You’ll never be bored with the food choices. There are many award-winning restaurants in Aiken and the surrounding areas that will keep your palate entertained every time you have a meal out.
If you are considering Aiken for your retirement living, contact one of our trusted agents today to help you find the perfect home.