Relaxing in a jetted or whirlpool tub at the end of a long, tough day can bring a bit of paradise to your very own bathroom. If you have this luxury in your home, you know it may be tedious to clean and maintain. However, follow these tips to keep those jets running smoothly and ready for a soothing bath.
If you regularly use your jetted tub, the jets should be cleaned at least once per month. However, the tub itself needs to be cleaned weekly to remove soap scum and bacteria. Since every jetted tub is different, look to the manufacturer’s guide for recommendations before cleaning the jets for the first time if your tub is new.
- First, wipe away any visible debris you see with a damp microfiber cloth or gentle sponge.
- Fill the tub with hot water, enough to cover the jets by at least two inches.
- Add a few tablespoons of liquid or powder dishwasher detergent to the hot water along with two cups of distilled white vinegar OR a half cup of liquid bleach.
- Unless your manufacturer suggests leaving them open, turn the valves to the jets off so that the water and cleaning solution are forced to circulate through the internal plumbing for a deep clean. Then, turn the jets on high for about 15 minutes to watch the debris from the internal plumbing wash into the tub.
- Once these steps are completed, turn the jets off and drain the tub, then use a sponge or cloth to wipe away excess debris.
- Refill the tub again with warm or cold water and turn the jets on high for another 15 minutes, then drain again.
- Clean the surfaces of each jet by placing one cup of baking soda in a small bowl and using an old toothbrush to scrub around the jets.
- After all of these steps have been completed, clean any residue from the tub as you normally would and rinse it through with water.
Now, take a relaxing soak in your sparkling-clean tub! Come up with a monthly cleaning schedule to perform these steps and ensure that the tub runs smoothly and stays clean. Avoid abrasive cleaners that can cause scratches so that your safe haven stays in tip-top shape.